People Who Have Checked Out This Blog

Friday, May 12, 2017

Perfectly Period Feast~ Fine Dining in the 14th Century









Ahh The Prolog!




The Perfectly Period Feast is being described as "collaborative research project culminating in an immersive experience".   We are playing as guest of a wealthy merchant from 1450 to 1468, on a feast day.


There has been a guild set up for this event for the past few years, doing demonstrations and teaching classes, and lectures of the specific time period.






Mettre sa main au feu : ordalie par le fer rouge:

Petrus Christus, 1449. Detail from Saint Eligius (also known as "The Goldsmith's Shop).:
Petrus Christus, 1449. Detail from Saint Eligius

I love this fabric!  If I can find a thin chenille I think it would drape like this, however I have another fabric in mind!
LXIII-Virginia, épouse de Lucius Volumnius (VIRGINIA, wife of Lucius Volumnius) -- Giovanni Boccaccio (1313-1375), Le Livre des cleres et nobles femmes, v. 1488-1496, Cognac (France), traducteur anonyme. -- Illustrations painted by Robinet Testard -- BnF Français 599 fol. 55v:
From a book of Hours found at
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b9009638m/f118.item
Jupiter Kissing Ganymede (I think?) from Augustine, La Cité de Dieu, Book IX, illustrated by Maitre Francois, 1475-1480 -- Note the gold "finials" on top of the henins. Interesting!:

I love the purple gown as well as her Henin and the lady in green, could be a servant?? as she is not wearing a gown but just her kirtle.



Illumination from the Histoire de Helayne; 15th century French (1460-65). Bibliotheque Royale, Brussels:
Illumination from the Histoire de Helayne; 15th century French (1460-65). Bibliotheque Royale, Brussels

Now this has such rich colors!  Notice the green kirtle under the lady in orange at the right of the screen.  I also love the blue with the red kirtle.  The lady in red to the left of the portrait has a black gown, and so does the lady being hugged by a suitor (I suppose).   


Chroniques de Angleterre, ca. 1470. Vienna, Osterreichische nationalbibliothek Cod. 2534 fol. 17r. http://thomasguild.blogspot.com/2012_02_01_archive.html:
Chroniques de Angleterre, ca. 1470. Vienna, Osterreichische nationalbibliothek Cod. 2534 fol. 17r.
You will notice purple plays a huge part in this sceen as well, two different ladies are in lilac. My first version of my houppalande is purple/blue fabric I have been hoarding for over 10 years.
Women & men with pointy shoes
http://www.virtue.to/articles/poulaines.html
I am obsessed with the men's outfits with the portrait, I really love how swanky the guys are!!

1447:


So what do I want to do? And what fabric will I make it with?












The Fabric

Check this bad boy out!  This is from Sartor and it is a replica from the exact time period we are working with!  I have 10 yards of this bad boy, since I need to match the seams and I want a large train, I am now wondering what kind of fur I want around it, and if I should spring for real fur or not.











































Okay for the hat I want to make a show stopper, so I am researching a couple.


The Attor de Gibet is c 1410-1440 this might be too early because I am looking at making a gown from 1450's or later. 


Reticulated Headress is another choice I am thinking the bottom right






Women's wear - Houpellandes:
NOBLE LADY, FROM EMPEROR, KNIGHT AND HIS LADY, 14TH-15TH CENTURY FRESCO INTERNATIONAL GOTHIC, BARONIAL HALL, CASTLE OF THE PRINCES OF SALUZZO


The Henin or Even Butterfly Henin or Escoffion at the bottom of this page.




Toucados medievais- eram sempre sobre o vertical, transpondo a verticalidade dos pináculos góticos:
























No comments: