People Who Have Checked Out This Blog

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Pennsic On My Mind

I have been wanting to get to Pennsic for many years as well as Estrella. However, Pennsic is in Pennslyvani......... in August. Who made that up? I mean really?! I was born there and my family lives in Pittsburgh-Still. Pennsic overlaps at least the first days with Costume College which I have been attending for at least 8 years now. I have a friend who has been very insistant that I make the 3000 mile journey and visit the vaulted event. Since I will not have a job by August, I need to save a lot to make sure We can go, because I will have to pay for actual tickets to fly now! Arrgh, I will loose my job at Skywest due to a contract closure April 1, 2011.

Soooo.....
We might as well go to Pennsic! It is the 40th Year for Pennsic, we can visit my family, and go out to Pennsic for a few days, as long as I can find a hotel close by that is not too expensive. Then I can cross it off of my bucket list.


Garb:

I don't have enough garb to handle the heat/humidity in Pennsylvania. I have 3 gowns that could work but I need to add 3 more for just in case. I am a late period English lady so I will want to wear this for my garb. Why? Because I can look spiffy!!

Things I need/want to make:
For Cilean
#1. Pisa Gown in Linen -should I make a trained gown for Pennsic?
#2. Pair of Bodyes with skirt and matching sleeves a la Attack Laurel
#3. Kirtle with black trim

For Alexandir
#1. Doublet and Pannions
#2. Black outfit
#3. Teal Outfit

THE STASH~
Knowing the heat issues, I will make everything with linen so checking the stash I have on hand currently:

8 yards Lavender-Blue
5 yards Black-plus a little extra I could make into trim
8 yards deep purple
4 yards orange
5 yards Robin's Egg Blue
6 yards white/blue Damask
6 yards darker lavender
5 yards Grey
5 yards orange/red shot
5 yards green

Linen Additionally Needed:
7 yards dark green
7 yards royal purple


Sources:
Fabrics R Us, a local fabric store has 60" wide linen for $4.00 and I would say it is 5.0 ounce. They do have many light colors, and a ton of purples in which makes me happy. I have asked the owner if he can find dark green, and darker yellow, as well as a royal blue.

What I currently have Garb Wise:
2 Smock high necked
1 Smock square necked
2 Camisas long and short
2 Partlets

UFO's Unfinished Objects
3 Petticoats
2 Corded Petticoats
1 Silk Farthingale

Will be working on this Month (February 26, 2011) I am heading to a Ren Sewing Workshop
#1. Lavender Linen Pair of Bodies with Sleeves, using Margo's Patterns. This has been a pain for me for years, I have made up dozens of these and lose them so I have nothing to work with!

So this is my plan, I planned it and we shall see what happens from this said plan!

Cilean

1 comment:

Isabella said...

You are coming to Pennsic?!? :-)

Some hopefully very helpful tips: It can, and will, get cold. I have seen frost in the morning. I have had ten blankets on top of me and still been cold. You will want at least two "colder" weather garments because of this.

For your persona: A linen smock, stays, and a petticoat with an apron. You will be much happier if you stick with that during the day (something you can slip a gown or a jacket over at night).

Camp: Trust me. You want to camp. Just either sign up for singles camping or find a group now that is willing to have another camper. The problem with a hotel is you have to leave -which you won't want to do. It's also more expensive. There are real showers and flush toilets at Pennsic. However, the latrines really aren't that bad -they wash them at least three times a day thoroughly. You can buy a tent at Walmart when you get here. I've certainly done that without a huge problem (other than I didn't want to spend the $100 for it).