People Who Have Checked Out This Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Saccoccia of the 16th Century Friends!




Hi All

Still working on the Lavender Blue gown should be done in a week, but I hate what I did to the skirt, so I am trying to figure out how to take the trim off and try again, I thought adding a pretty motif while I sewed it down would be fun...it was not and it is not pretty so I am holding off.

I need to make a couple gifts so why not do it now?

Saccoccias are pockets for ladies to carry their stuff in either close to the body or out in public. About 3 years ago I won some really love pieces of silk damask, for like $10.00 plus shipping via eBay and I have made a few things from this. So from the stash again inspiration comes.

Kat's Purple files on Florence is a really great site to find many things and ogle and drool over She is wondrous in the extreme! She had me thinking about making some of these pockets for some Italian persona friends.


So this is what I did;
I took some regular paper and a plate and then I measured how big my wallet is and that gave me the dimensions of 15" X 13".

First I did some embroidery work in a black Fleur de Lys because my Bestie likes them just as much as I do, this silk damask is in a lovely yellowy gold, so she would have liked this to have been in gold for the Fleur de Lys but I thought that was a little too much.

Once Myst finished the embroidery, I ironed it and cut the lining which will be linen. I marked a like of 7 1/2" or just 1/2" from the top of the Fleur so that it would not be damaged with the opening and closing of the Saccoccia.



I sewed 1/4" around the line, which will be my slit, shown here and then I pressed and folded the fabric back and pressed again. Thank the Gods for a good iron!










The decorated side, will have more fabric in the front, this is to make sure you have some give in holding things so the front will have 4" extra. Shown here:




















The back is what I want the finished piece to be plus seam allowance, so first I sew around the whole thing and then trim and pink the edges so it will turn out nicely, and then once again? Iron...then I fold the top pieces in and then iron this and sew it across, you could also add additional embroidery.

So this next step is to work with the front, you will need to iron the lining and fashion fabric to match the back which I use 1/4" then sew it all together. and again turn the top fabrics inward and iron and sew.



1" from the top of your Saccoccia sew a very small seam you can also zig zag for extra support around the entire bag. Turn out to the right side and iron.






Now match the ends of the Saccoccia, and pin then knife pleat the extra and then sew down. 1" down from the top you have just closed, sew another straight line.

Thread ribbon or rope or cording or whatever you have through the Saccoccia's top, this should be your waist plus 20" to tie.



Okay so there you have it! It is done and it looks wondrous! This is my Hubby showing off the pocket, he was trying to be a women with large breasts, he is so funny!!!



I will be making more of these? For 12th Gifts for some friends, I have bits and bobs of different damasks all over the place and some serious silks, who knows, if i know your device I might be able to

No comments: